Saturday, January 3, 2009

Lily and the Mo-mo-man

We don't usually get much snow in this part of Japan, but there were plenty of snowman decorations everywhere we went. The first time Lily saw a snowman, she was very intrigued, pointing and saying "Ooooooooh!" I told her it was a snowman, and she said, "Mo-mo-mo-bo-bo-mo-mo-mahn?" I figured that was pretty close, so I said, "That's right. Snowman." After that, she saw them everywhere, and her name for snowman was eventually shortened to "mo-mah." (Sometimes she gets the "n" sound, but not always.)

Lily was very upset about something one day (I don't remember what), and nothing seemed to calm her down. Out of desperation, I asked, "Lily, do want to watch a snowman movie?" She immediately stopped crying. "Mo-mah moobie?" She sounded curious and looked hopeful. I pulled out the "Frosty the Snowman" VHS tape a friend had given me and put it in the VCR. A quick fast forward to the beginning, and Lily was immediately enchanted.

She watched it almost everyday, carrying the box around chanting "mo-mah." (Even now, if I start singing "Frosty the Snowman," Lily dances.) On Christmas Eve, I went on one last shopping trip. I had to find a toy snowman for Lily. Lucky me, I found one, and it was already on clearance. Best $2.50 I ever spent. She loves that "mo-mah." He goes where she goes.

I'm still trying to get Lily and Mo-man to be still long enough for a picture that I can post here.

1 comment:

Nancy Niederer said...

I have a cute snow man craft from...ok well i dont remeber where I got it, but its soft and cute, and I handed it to Jenna and she seemed to like him. Then I noticed her keep poking his "carrot nose" which i then realized was made out of a toothpick! yikes, a little to pointy for my baby. So i gave her a care bear to hold instead. I am sure Lily's mo-man has a soft nose. Brock used to call them No-Men. Cute.