Monday, July 6, 2009

Visiting the Imperial East Gardens


During our excursions in downtown Tokyo, we had an opportunity to visit the East Gardens of the Imperial Palace grounds. Very beautiful, very serene, very quiet. It was lovely.

Hydrangeas.

Irises. Lily, just not mine.


There was one section of the garden called "Plum Grove Slope." Several different kids of plum trees grew here, and the air was beautifully perfumed with the ripening fruit.

Old bamboo.


Another part of the garden showcases the Symbolic Prefectural Trees. One tree is planted for each of Japan's 23 prefectures, each one different. I took a picture of this sign because I could read the hiragana on it - Ya-ma-mo-mo. Well, I knew "yama" meant "mountain" and "momo" meant "peach," so I figured the tree must have been a "mountain peach tree." I looked up the scientific name, and the tree is actually a Chinese bayberry. I like mountian peach better.


This Tea House is one of the many residual structures from the Edo period.

No comments: